Sunday, October 10, 2010

Can you tell me how to get to the Bog of the Frogs?

I should note that I'm posting my photos and videos on a web album and you can access those via the links at the side of the page. 

Day 2 dawned with an overcast sky but still no rain.  I planned to head out to a fishing village outside of Dublin called Howth.  It's a lonely planet recommendation so I expected other tourists, but I was surprised by just how many.  It felt like all of Dublin's tourist population had decided to go to Howth on this lovely Sunday.  Oh well, I did manage to escape the hoardes at some points during the day.

First, I got a bit lost on the Dublin train system; who knew that there were three different kinds of trains?  I definitely did not and found myself out in some industrial area which I knew immediately was not the picturesque village of Howth.  An Irish bloke was kind enough to re-direct me to the main station where I could board the proper train; it turns out I'd only gone a couple of stops out of the way.  Not knowing what to expect in Howth, I arrived with a trainload of others and immediately headed out of the village to what I thought would be an untravelled area to hike.  Wrong again.  Throngs of people were also headed in the same direction so I resigned myself to being one of the masses for the day.  It turns out there are 4 established hiking loops in Howth, so I set out on the longest one which would take me along most of the coast line before looping back to the train station.  I was supposed to follow the purple arrows, indicating the Bog of the Frogs trail.  (remember that ok?)  The trail was beautiful and eventually when the purple trail split from the rest, I had it mostly to myself.  I even had the good fortune to run into a lovely Irish gentleman named Jack.  He asked where I was off to and I said, "Can you tell me how to get to the Bog of the Frogs?"  He shrugged non-committedly and then we had a bit of a chat and he sent me on my way with some directions on how to finish the trail.  Let's just say, I should have ignored Jack.  I ended up a bit lost because rather then looking for the purple arrows, I listened to my new friend's advice.  Oh well, I managed to get back on the red trail which re-connected with the purple trail.  You know, I never did see the Bog of the Frogs which is sad because I was really looking forward to it.  Here's a map of Howth, if you look at the dotted line that surrounds the land mass...that's what I ended up walking (not counting the Jack detour): 


I explored more of the village, saw a seal wrestle some sea gulls for fish, had my first dose of fish and chips (so good!) and then headed home for the night. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have already had a lot of adventure over there! Ready to come home yet? Just kidding. Too bad Jack didn't know the right way, eh? Was he cute? Lucky there was no scaling the wall of that private residence. That could've ended bad! Well, love you and keep up the posts... very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the story on Anne and the story about the trunk broken, something I would have done. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete