Sunday, October 24, 2010

Almost a local...

Today I realized that I’ve actually become pretty comfortable here; I’m not a local by any stretch but it’s amazing to me how quickly you get used to a place.  I like it.  Here are some of the things that contributed to that realization:

  • The other day I actually thought, I need to “ring” that person.
  • Today, I went out without my camera, guidebook or map.
  • While driving, I have thought, “Man, these tourists drive slow!”
  • I no longer have to ask the cashier what each of the chocolate bars is like.
  • I have experienced the familiar acceleration of my heart when I drive by a police car because, yes, I am going ABOVE the speed limit.
  • When a movie commercial says “In cinemas now!”, I no longer change it to “theatres” in my head. 
  • I bought a re-usable shopping bag.
  • I know alternate routes to avoid “holiday traffic”. 
  • I have learned to spend an entire evening in one room…because it’s the only one that’s heated!  And wearing 2-3 pairs of socks at all times in the house seems pretty standard. 
Don’t get me wrong, everyday there is still something different to learn or experience; I just think that living somewhere can quickly become comfortable and that can be nice.  And please don’t think that it has all been easy or comfortable.  I’ve often needed to remember the verse God placed on my heart recently, Joshua 1:9, about being strong and courageous and not being afraid or discouraged because God is with me wherever I go.  There have been times of discouragement and fear here, but I am comforted by the fact that I’m not alone and that my courage is not my own but His. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you might need to invest in some heavy-duty wool socks and a wool sweater! Maybe add a toque to that list! Did you bring enough socks to wear 2-3 pairs everyday? I might have to learn to knit socks so I can send you some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read "we flushed it down the toilet", I thought to myself that you sounded more comfortable with things there in Ireland. And then I read this entry and it seems you read my mind! Oooooo... we Lalibertes on the same WAVE length (insert synchronized wave motion here)

    ReplyDelete