Sunday, October 17, 2010

Can you get a ticket for going too slow?

Today was fairly cold and misty but I decided to hit the road anyway, having already decided to try and get to the Ceide Fields, an archaeological site that is spoken of fairly highly so I thought I should check it out.  It seemed to be a day for livestock on the road, I saw cows being herded down the highway (their owner was running behind them!), then more cows on the road that I had to wait for, and then sheep that were also on the road!  I thought to myself, just when I'm starting to take it for granted that I'm in Ireland, I come around a bend in the road and I'm reminded....I'm definitely not in Canada anymore.  And it always makes me laugh.  At one point today, I was being followed by the Garda (police)!  It was rainy out and the speed limit was 100km/hr on the road, but I was definitely not going 100.  I started to think, can they pull me over because I'm going too slow?  Well, that freaked me out so I tried to pick up the pace and got up to 90 for a while (some white knuckles were involved) and then I pulled into the nearest town to "check it out".  I wasn't really checking it out, I just didn't want them to be following me anymore...and they wouldn't pass!  In retrospect, I'm laughing at myself; in the moment, I didn't think it was very funny.  

I eventually reached the Ceide Fields and toured around the visitor center and the fields for a while.  You're probably asking...what are these fields all about?  Well, in 5000 BC there was a farming community in this area but eventually, a bog blanketed the whole community so you couldn't even see that anyone had been there.  Eventually, as farmers in more modern times were cutting turf (peat) from the bog for their fire, they started hitting the stone walls that were under the bog!  So, archaeologists came in and excavated some of the area to reveal housing structures, grave sites and fences all over the fields.  It's actually pretty cool in theory and the visitor centre does a great job of showing you how it happened etc., but the fields are actually kind of a let down after they get you all psyched up.  You walk around on these pre made paths and everyone once in a while the bog is dug up to reveal these piles of stones.  I could definitely tell that some were fences and I think there was one house but I was definitely imagining something...more identifiable.  Oh well, worth seeing but just not what I was expecting. 

On the way home, I decided to take some roads that weren't on the map.  A word of warning if you're ever in Ireland, don't do this.  If I thought the roads were narrow before, I hadn't seen anything like this.  With my car in the middle of the road, I think I could have reached out my window on either side and touched the plants on the side of the road!  I think I held my breath everytime someone came towards me and went by.  And the crazy thing is, the locals don't even seem to notice!  They just hurtle by me, not knowing that the Canadian driver they just passed is saying a silent prayer of thanks that she's still alive and her car is unscathed.  On the plus side, now the regular roads seem really wide!   

4 comments:

  1. Good thing you only held your breath and didn't close your eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a bog museum once...just an exhibit, but its amazing what can be preserved in those things! sorry the stone piles weren't that exciting, but glad the visitor center was cool. love the driving saga too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell I`m probably not going to like the roads in Ireland at all. Maybe Dad should rethink renting a car there. Sounds like you saw a lot of sheep, etc., just like the pictures. Love Mom P.S. I don`t like the Garda following us either Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not Niagra falls... you're right! Very funny video about the gold at the end of the rainbow~! You're crazy:)

    ReplyDelete